3-Ways to Use Essential Oils
Today’s Essential oils are the same Essential oils used for thousands of years that provide natural solutions for anyone looking to promote a healthy lifestyle.
You may think essential oils are merely a fad that will eventually pass, but what we have finally accepted is what the Ancients knew and that Plant extracts and essential oils can be used today to cultivate a healthy lifestyle and promote well-being. One of the many reasons that essential oils have stood the test of time is their versatility.
Some think that essential oils are just to make things smell nice or just to make a massage more enjoyable. The truth is, essential oils are extremely versatile and have dozens of practical uses for our everyday lives. With such a wide variety of oils available, each essential oil provides a unique set of benefits, the possibilities for use and application of these oils are practically limitless. With so many options, you can customize your essential oil experience to fit your personal preferences and daily needs.
What can essential oils be used for? When you begin to research and experience high-quality essential oils you’ll be ready to put the potency and power of oils to the test. While many know that essential oils are useful for such things as aromatherapy and purifying the air, some people are shocked to learn that essential oils can also be used for cooking, personal hygiene, household cleaning, promoting sleep, mood management, and more. The more you learn about essential oils, how they work, and how they can be used safely, the more they can become a helpful part of your everyday life.
Incorporating essential oils into your lifestyle can become quite literally an “essential” part of your daily routine. I know they are for me. I’ve been using essential oils, supplements made with essential oils and the many other products made with essential oils for 4 years and I can attest to the many health benefits. So are just simply an outcome of removing toxic synthetic products from my home. If you care deeply about using natural solutions in the home, you want products that will support your efforts in living a healthy lifestyle, or you just want a powerful and effective way to support the well-being of your family, essential oils can help to fulfill your needs.
Benefits of aromatic use
Whether you are brand new to essential oils or consider yourself an expert, the aromatic application is one of the simplest and most effective ways to use essential oils. It is also useful for purifying the air; promoting a calm, inviting, or the energetic environment; and managing mood and emotions. Essential oils are potent and powerful. You can start experiencing the benefits of aromatic use right away, as the oil disperses through the air quickly and effectively.
Diffusing is perhaps the easiest way to experience essential oils aromatically by using an essential oil diffuser. There are several models of diffusers available and your choice in a diffuser will depend on your needs and preferences. While each essential oil diffuser will provide different features, most can be categorized as either water diffusers or waterless diffusers. Water diffusers use water to disperse essential oils through the air in a fine mist, while waterless models diffuse the oil straight into the air.
How to use essential oils aromatically
- Combine several of your favorite essential oils in a diffuser to create a custom diffuser blend. (Use one to three drops of each oil.)
- To promote clean, fresh air in your car, place a few drops of an essential oil on a cotton ball and wedge it into the air vents or you can purchase the dōTERRA Aroma Clip.
- When you want to breathe in the aroma of essential oils throughout the day, combine oils with a few ounces of water in a spray bottle and spritz on clothing to keep the scent with you for several hours.
- To help create a peaceful, relaxing environment for your family before sleep, diffuse calming essential oils while your children are brushing their teeth, reading bedtime stories, and getting ready for bed. (Try Clary Sage, Lavender, Melissa, dōTERRA Balance®, or dōTERRA Serenity®.)
- Diffuse invigorating and energizing essential oils at your desk to promote motivation and positivity during the sluggish afternoon hours. (Try Grapefruit, Lemon, Spearmint, Spikenard, Tangerine, or dōTERRA Motivate®.)
- Keep the aroma of essential oils with you while on the go by creating your own aromatherapy jewelry. (Placing a few drops of oil on clay beads typically works best.)
- Diffuse during your morning routine to give your day an uplifting, invigorating start. (Try Cypress, Eucalyptus, Peppermint, Citrus Bliss®, or Elevation.)
- To help promote feelings of focus, place a diffuser nearby when you are working on homework, important projects, or studying for tests, or when you are working from home. (Try Basil, Douglas Fir, Peppermint, or InTune®.)
- When you are expecting company, diffuse essential oils to produce a fresh and inviting aroma throughout the home. (Try Bergamot, Lavender, Lemon, or Purify.)
- Improve the aroma and environment of any room by taking your diffuser with you to hotel rooms, conference rooms, your office, the car, the classroom, or anywhere else that could benefit from the power of essential oils.
Much like aromatic use, topical application of essential oils is a relatively simple method that allows individuals to experience the benefits of essential oils both quickly and effectively. Topical use provides several benefits. It can be good for the skin, useful in massage, soothing for the body, and more. One of the greatest benefits of using essential oils topically is it targets specific areas of the body to achieve a specific desired effect. Additionally, you will enjoy the aroma of the essential oil for several hours as it absorbs into the skin.
Before applying any type of product to your skin (essential oil or otherwise), it is important to understand how to use the product and be aware of how it may react with your skin or body. To safely enjoy using essential oils topically, follow these safety guidelines:
One of the most important elements of applying essential oils topically is understanding dilution. While some people worry that diluting an oil before topical use takes away its potency or power, it extends the benefits of the essential oil by increasing absorption into the skin. The best way to dilute an essential oil before the topical application is to combine it with a carrier oil like dōTERRA® Fractionated Coconut Oil.
It is important to know that some essential oils should always be diluted before the topical application due to their strong chemistry. Remember to always dilute the following oils with a carrier oil before putting them on your skin to avoid sensitivity:
How to use essential oils topically
Use essential oils topically to cleanse the skin or promote a healthy-looking complexion. (Try Bergamot, Clary Sage, Eucalyptus, Frankincense, Geranium, Melaleuca, or any of the HD Clear® products.)
- Apply essential oils topically to the chest to promote feelings of clear breathing and create an invigorating vapor. (Try Cardamom, Eucalyptus, Melaleuca, Peppermint, or dōTERRA Breathe®.)
- If you work at a desk all day, target areas of tension by applying soothing oils to the neck, temples, shoulders, and hands.
- Apply essential oils to the abdomen to help alleviate occasional stomach discomfort.
- Rub essential oils that are known for naturally repelling insects on the wrists and ankles before going on a hike. (Try Arborvitae, Cinnamon, Clove, Geranium, Lemongrass, Thyme or dōTERRA Terrashield®.)
- Combine essential oils with Fractionated Coconut Oil to give yourself a soothing scalp massage. (Try Lime, Melaleuca, Lavender or Rosemary.)
- Apply essential oils to the abdomen during your menstrual cycle when you want to create a comforting massage. (Try Clary Sage or Clary Calm®)
- For occasional skin irritations, apply one to two drops of essential oil to the affected area. (Try Lavender, Melaleuca, or Correct-X®.)
- Add your favorite essential oil (or oils) to non-scented lotion and apply to the skin to experience the topical benefits.
- Use dōTERRA SPA Lip Balm to help hydrate and soothe the lips throughout the day.
Benefits of internal use
When applied safely and properly, the internal use of essential oils can be just as beneficial as aromatic and topical use. In some cases, internal use can provide unique benefits that the other two application methods simply cannot offer. Although some are skeptical about the efficacy of internal use, there is research to support the potential benefits of consuming essential oils internally. Among many benefits, essential oils can be used internally to support gastrointestinal health, maintain healthy immune function, promote healthy cell function, provide the body with internal cleansing benefits, and more.* In addition to these internal benefits, essential oils can also be used to add flavor to food and beverages, providing a creative way to consume essential oils for internal benefit.*
It is important to note that some essential oils are never safe to use internally because of their chemical profile. Each dōTERRA® essential oil includes application guidelines using symbols which stands for “Aromatic,” “Topical,” and “Internal.” Any dōTERRA product marked with an “I” has been deemed safe for internal use. Remember, even if an essential oil is considered safe for internal use, the proper application methods and dosage must be applied to stay within the realm of safe usage.
While they may be approved for internal usage, some oils are too strong to be taken directly due to their chemistry. When using these types of oils, it is important to alter the application method by adding the oil to a veggie capsule and swallowing, or by placing one drop of the oil in at least four ounces of liquid. It is also safe to place one to two drops of these oils into recipes to disperse the oil before consumption. The following oils have strong chemistry, and while they are approved for internal use, they should not be placed on the tongue or in the mouth directly.
- Douglas Fir
- Eucalyptus Radiata
Before consuming any amount of essential oils internally, it is important to consider your health status or any personal health conditions, and it may be necessary to speak with your physician before trying internal usage methods. When you have considered your own health needs, keep in mind an appropriate dose of internal application will be different for each person, based on their health status, age, size, and the oil itself.
When you are ready to use essential oils internally, these general safety guidelines can help you to stay within the parameters of safe usage:
- Start with the smallest dose possible, 1 to 2 drops. From here the dose can be increased if necessary.
- The recommended dose for internal use ranges from 1 to 5 drops. Again, this depends on the specific oil being used and the desired benefit. Beyond five drops, increasing the dose no longer adds benefit and can be potentially harmful to the body. It is best to take smaller doses, repeating every four to six hours, as needed, rather than taking one large dose.
- In most cases, no more than 20 drops of essential oils should be consumed internally within 24 hours. Keep in mind this maximum of 20 drops could be higher or lower depending on the oil being used. Lower daily doses are recommended, especially when the oil is being used internally over an extended period.
How to use essential oils internally
- Add one or two drops of essential oil to a glass of water or veggie capsule to help aid digestion.* (Try Black Pepper, Cardamom, Cassia, Cilantro, Coriander, Fennel, Ginger, or DigestZen®.)
- Add essential oils to tea or hot water and drink slowly to soothe the throat.* (Try Cinnamon or Lemon.)
- Take essential oils internally to help promote cellular health.* (Try Cardamom, Frankincense, or Juniper Berry.)
- Take essential oils internally to support a healthy cardiovascular system.* (Try Cardamom, Cassia, Coriander, Ginger, Frankincense, Marjoram, Petitgrain, or xEO Mega®.)
- Provide the body with immune support by taking essential oils internally.* (Try Basil, Black Pepper, Cassia, Fennel, Lime, Melaleuca, or dōTERRA On Guard® Beadlets.)
- Some essential oils may be taken internally to promote restful sleep.* (Try Dill, Lavender, or dōTERRA Serenity® Restful Complex Softgels.)
- Use essential oils internally to help ease anxious feelings.* (Try Black Pepper or Lavender.)
- Essential oils may be used internally to promote healthy organ function.* (Try Geranium, Rosemary, or the Zendocrine® Detoxification blend.)
- Some essential oils may provide internal cleansing benefits.* (Try Juniper Berry, Helichrysum, or Lime.)
- Use essential oils internally to provide soothing comfort to the body.* (Try Basil, Coriander, Lavender, or Bergamot.)
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease.
Here’s your link to get more information and to purchase dōTERRA products?